It does matter how big a chair you sit in every day. It does matter what size clothes you wear. And in a 10 square meter apartment a puppy can be considered a big dog. We have to admit that size does matter in some situations. And what’s the most important situation when size really matters? We hope everyone has thought about social media image sizing…
Sizing can seem very simple in some cases, but get a few pixels wrong and you can end up with strange stripes next to the image or missing important information. Social media image sizes are constantly changing, it’s hard to keep track of them, so we’ve summarised them for you to get everything in one place and give you a guide.
About social media photo sizes in general
This is the spreadsheet that should be saved somewhere in the depths of your laptop or phone. We’ll cover each platform in more detail later, but here’s a summary of what you need to know about image sizes in 2022. Dimensions are in pixels, but also in ratios.
What does aspect ratio mean?
Aspect ratio is an image projection attribute that describes the proportional relationship between the width of an image and it’s height. So if you’re looking at a 16:9 ratio, it could be 1920 x 1080 in pixels, but it could also be 2560 x 1440.
Instagram image sizes
- Instagram supports vertical, horizontal and square images, but the main thing is that the smallest side should always be 1080 pixels, so you can upload high-quality images.
- When you share an Instagram image that’s sized over 1080 pixels, Instagram will size it down to 1080 pixels.
- If your uploaded Instagram image is a different ratio, the platform will automatically crop your photo to fit a supported ratio.
Facebook image sizes
- To avoid any compression or distortion, upload a JPG or PNG file.
- You can also upload a video as a cover for a page. The resolution is also 851×315 or 16:9.
Linkedin image sizes
- Make sure your file is smaller than 8MB
- Cover photos are cropped differently on mobile and desktop. Make sure to view your profile on both kinds of display before finalizing.
TikTok image sizes
- Avoid landscape sizing
- Each platform has different sizing, as each platform delivers a different user experience. If your images are sized correctly, you will look more professional, but it will also increase engagement.
And now, have fun!